ASHEVILLE, N.C. – Led by 15 kills from Cara Guthrie, UNC Asheville took down Charleston Southern 3-0 (25-20, 25-13, 25-21) Friday night in Big South volleyball action.
Guthrie's 15 kills were a match-high as CSU (9-7, 4-4 Big South) was led by Brooke Monssen's nine. Junior middle blocker Caitlyn Michalski added six while senior outside hitter Hannah Western added five. Michalski also led CSU with a .250 hitting percentage and added a dig.
Madison Martin paced the CSU defense with a match-high 15 digs as she moved into sole possession of second place on the program's all-time digs list.
The Buccaneer offense fell behind early hitting below .100 in each set for the second time this season while their Bulldog (7-11, 2-6 Big South) counterparts hit .268 across the match and .389 in the second set.
How It Happened
- UNC Asheville used a 6-0 run to break a 4-4 tie and seize momentum in the opening frame as they took a 25-20 decision in the first.
- The home Bulldogs came out fast in the second set using the momentum from the first building a 20-9 lead before ending it at 25-13.
- CSU fought back and came close to forcing a fourth set, but the Bulldogs overcame a late Buccaneer run to close it 25-21.
- CSU held an early lead in the final set, but UNC Asheville used an 8-1 run to take a lead before holding a 24-17 margin towards the end.
Inside the Numbers
- Despite 15 digs from Madison Martin and 11 from Naiomi Rivera, UNC Asheville was able to hit .268 on 37 kills and just 11 errors. CSU had 30 kills, but had 23 errors to go along with five Bulldog service aces.
- Martin's seventh dig – which came in the second set – pushed her into second on CSU's all-time digs list as she ends the night just 64 from claiming the top spot.
- Naiomi Rivera's 11 digs Friday made it five of eight Big South matches in double figures. Her 21 assists were a team-high as she has 20-plus in seven of eight conference bouts.
- Monssen's nine kills Friday were a team-high as she now leads the Bucs with 2.63 kills per set inside Big South play.
News and Notes
- Madison Martin now has 1,770 career digs – good for second on the program's all-time list. The senior passed former great Ashley Higginbothem on her seventh dig Friday night.
- CSU sits T-5th with Presbyterian at 4-4 after the loss. If the season were to end Friday, the Bucs would qualify as the No. 5 seed in the conference tournament.
CSU wraps their weekend at Big South new member USC Upstate Saturday looking for a 1-1 trip. First serve is set for 5 p.m. and will be live streamed on ESPN+.