ROCK HILL, S.C. – Winthrop used a strong second set in which they hit .452 from the floor to collect a 3-0 (25-15, 25-8, 25-19) win over the Charleston Southern volleyball team Saturday afternoon.
In the loss, Charleston Southern (7-5, 2-2 Big South) was led offensively by Brooke Monssen and Macey LaPorte's six kills while Madison Martin added 19 digs, Naiomi Rivera had 12 assists and Skylar Blackmon added two service aces.
On the other side, Winthrop's (7-10, 3-2 Big South) strong second set proved to be too much as the Eagles hit above .225 in each set for a .293 total in the win. Wintrhop's Makayla Doyle collected a match-high 12 kills while hitting .393.
Saturday's .018 mark from the floor marks the lowest hitting percentage of the season and was the first time the Bucs hit below .130.
With the loss, CSU ends their weekend 1-1 and sit at 2-2 overall in conference play.
How it Happened
- Winthrop came out aggressive as they collected 32 kills across the first two sets and held CSU to .025 and -.065 with 11 kills and 12 errors.
- CSU and Winthrop were tied at 8-8 early in the first set, but an error and Winthrop kill jumpstarted an 8-0 run to give the Eagles the early momentum.
- The Eagles saw 16 kills in each of the first two sets as Makayla Doyle paced all players with five in the first and Lourdes Rosario added seven in the second. Those two spearheaded a Winthrop team that hit .244 and .452 to take an early 2-0 lead.
- In the second set, Winthrop jumped out to a 7-0 lead before making it 18-2 and finishing off the Bucs 25-8 for the two-set lead.
- CSU collected their best offensive set in the final game, but Winthrop had three players collect four kills to close the match.
Inside the Numbers
- Winthrop used big runs to collect the sweep as they had a run of eight in the first set, two runs of seven in the second and closed the match with the final five tallies.
- CSU came within a point of taking a lead in the final stages of the third set, but the Eagles' 5-0 run sealed it.
- Madison Martin's 19 digs made it 11-straight matches in double figures and six-straight above 15. She now sits just five digs from 1,700 in her Buccaneer career and 66 from second place on the program's all-time digs list.
- Macey LaPorte's six kills were the most in a match since she had seven at College of Charleston back on September 8.
- The .293 mark turned in by Winthrop was a season-high against the Buccaneers surpassing a .264 performance from Davidson on September 8.
News and Notes
- Madison Martin is now 66 digs from moving into second place on the program's all-time digs list.
- Addison Kaderli's pursuit of 1,000 kills keeps getting smaller as the senior outside hitter now has 980 to her credit. She also sits fourth on the all-time attacks list and is only 88 from moving into third.
- Hannah Western's versatility has been showcased this season as she now sits just outside the top-20 in all-time attacks, has over 500 career kills and is among the top-25 in digs with 737.
It's a short turnaround for CSU as they welcome Presbyterian into the Buc Dome Tuesday night for the first of three-straight home matches. First serve is slated for 6 p.m. and will be streamed live on the Big South Network on ESPN+.