CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern recorded its first win in program history over Lowcountry rival College of Charleston on Monday afternoon as the Buccaneers topped the Cougars, 4-3, at the CofC Tennis Center at Patriots Point.
Michelle Schmitz took the deciding match on court no. 3 for the Buccaneers as the two teams went down to the final point. CSU (3-4) picked up its third consecutive win courtesy of victories on doubles courts 1 and 3, as well as singles wins on courts 2, 3, and 4.
The Bucs opened their first match against CofC since the 2012 season with a doubles win on court no. 3. Kimberley Koerner and Filippa Ericson topped CofC's Turner Yates and Sarah Zschunke, 6-3, to put CSU in the early lead.
Eva Nyikos and Clara Errard topped Schmitz and Yana Morar on court no. 2, 6-2, to even the score. The Bucs clinched the opening point of the match with a 6-4 win on court no. 1 with Madalina Man and Tiffany Pyritz topping Christi Woodson and Anastasia Palaska.
Koerner quickly put CSU ahead 2-0 with a straight-set win over Errard on court no. 4. The senior topped her opponent, 6-2, 6-1, to stretch the Bucs' early lead.
Yates put the Cougars on the scoreboard on court no. 5 with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Morar. Ericson gave the Bucs the 3-2 lead following her 7-5, 6-2 win over Palaska on court no. 2.
The Cougars took the points on courts no. 1 and no. 6 to even the tie the match up. Woodson topped Man in a three-set battle, 6-1, 6-7, 6-1, while Caroline Medici topped CSU's Pyritz on court no. 6, 6-4, 7-6.
The match on court no. 3 went into the deciding third set as well. Schmitz took the opening frame over Lily LaBiche, 6-3, before dropping the second set, 4-6. In the deciding set, the CSU sophomore proved victorious with the 6-3 victory to clinch the second Bucs win in the last three days.
Charleston So. 4, College of Charleston 3
2/25/2019 at Mt. Pleasant, S.C. (Patriots Point)
1. Christi Woodson (COFC) def. MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) 6-1, 6-7, 6-1
2. ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) def. Anastasia Palaska (COFC) 7-5, 6-2
3. SCHMITZ, Michelle (CSU-W) def. Lily LaBiche (COFC) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
4. KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) def. Clara Errard (COFC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Turner Yates (COFC) def. MORAR, Yana (CSU-W) 6-0, 6-2
6. Catalina Medici (COFC) def. PYRITZ, Tiffany (CSU-W) 6-4, 7-6
1. MAN, Madalina/PYRITZ, Tiffany (CSU-W) def. Christi Woodson/Anastasia Palaska (COFC) 6-4
2. Eva Nyikos/Clara Errard (COFC) def. SCHMITZ, Michelle/MORAR, Yana (CSU-W) 6-2
3. KOERNER, Kimberley/ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) def. Turner Yates/Sarah Zschunke (COFC) 6-3
Charleston So. 3-4
College of Charleston 3-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,5,2,1,6,3)
News & Notes
- Charleston Southern picks up its first win over the Cougars in program history dating back to the first time the teams faced off in the 1993 season.
- Monday's match was the first time the teams faced off since the 2012 season.
- The Bucs picked up their third consecutive win.
- Filippa Ericson, Michelle Schmitz, and Kimberley Koerner all have three singles wins for the Bucs this season.
- Ericson/Koerner improved to 4-0 on doubles court no. 3 this year.
- Man and Pyritz picked up their second consecutive doubles win.
"I am very proud of the way we fought today. College of Charleston truly pushed us to the limits, but we have talked so much about being tough and brave in the face of adversity. We accomplished this today; it was truly a team effort. We will take a lot of confidence from this match as we head toward the upcoming conference matches." – Head Coach Anca Dumitrescu
Charleston Southern is back in action on March 2 as the Buccaneers continue Big South Conference play against Hampton. First serve against the Pirates is set for noon.