CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern ensured its 2019 home opener was successful as the Buccaneers topped visiting UNC Wilmington on Saturday afternoon at the Buccaneer Tennis Complex, 5-2.
The Buccaneers (2-4) took two of the three doubles matches and four of the six singles competitions on their way to topping UNC Wilmington (4-4). Three of CSU's singles wins came in tightly contested third sets with Madalina Man, Kimberley Koerner, and Michelle Schmitz each topping their opponents to help the Bucs secure the win.
Sarah Horn and Celeste Matute started off play with a doubles win over CSU's Yana Morar and Femcke Van Rensburg on court no. 2, 6-0. The Bucs rebounded back with a pair of wins on courts 1 and 3 to take the opening point.
Man and Tiffany Pyritz topped UNCW's Sabrina Barisano and Maddy Muller-Hughes on court no. 1, 6-3, to even doubles play. Koerner and Filippa Ericson closed out doubles competition with a 6-2 win over Lea Dubois-Rebiere and Rachel Marthinsen on court no. 3.
Pyritz put the Buccaneers ahead 2-0 with a straight-set win on court no. 5 to open singles play. The freshman topped Matute, 6-2, 6-0, to add to CSU's advantage early in the match.
UNCW rallied back to even the match with singles wins on courts no. 6 and no. 1. Marthinsen topped Morar on court no. 6, 6-3, 6-3, while Muller-Hughes outlasted Ericson in a three-set match on the top court, 1-6, 6-4, 6-3.
The Buccaneers swung the advantage back to CSU over the final three courts started by Koerner's win on court no. 3. The senior took the opening set over Dubois-Rebiere, 6-2, but dropped the second frame, 6-4, to head into the deciding third set. From there it was all Koerner as the Wedel, Germany native took the 6-1 win to put the Bucs ahead 3-2.
Schmitz followed up shortly afterward in a come-from-behind win over Barisano on court no. 4. After dropping a back-and-forth first set, 7-6, the sophomore rallied back with 6-3, 6-2 wins to secure the match for the Bucs.
Man followed up with the final win on court no. 2 to provide the winning margin. The sophomore fell in the first set to Rishika Ravidran, 6-4, before rallying with matching 6-4, 6-4 wins in the second and third sets to secure the victory.
Charleston So. 5, UNCW 2
Feb 23, 2019 at Charleston, S.C. (Buccaneer Tennis Complex)
1. Maddy Muller-Hughes (UNCW) def. ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) 1-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) def. Rishika Ravindran (UNCW) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) def. Lea Dubois-Rebiere (UNCW) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
4. SCHMITZ, Michelle (CSU-W) def. Sabrina Barisano (UNCW) 6-7, 6-3, 6-2
5. PYRITZ, Tiffany (CSU-W) def. Celeste Matute (UNCW) 6-2, 6-0
6. Rachel Marthinsen (UNCW) def. MORAR, Yana (CSU-W) 6-3, 6-3
1. MAN, Madalina/PYRITZ, Tiffany (CSU-W) def. Sabrina Barisano/Maddy Muller-Hughes (UNCW) 6-3
2. Sarah Horn/Celeste Matute (UNCW) def. MORAR, Yana/VAN RENSBURG, Femcke (CSU-W) 6-0
3. KOERNER, Kimberley/ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) def. Lea Dubois-Rebiere/Rachel Marthinsen (UNCW) 6-2
Charleston So. 2-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,6,1,3,4,2)
News & Notes
- Schmitz, Koerner, Man, and Pyritz all picked up their second singles wins of the season in CSU's victory over the Seahawks.
- CSU picked up its second consecutive win after starting the season with four losses.
- Filippa Ericson and Kimberley Koerner picked up their team-leading third doubles win on the year.
- Madalina Man and Tiffany Pyritz picked up their first doubles win of the season.
The Buccaneers are back on the road on Monday as CSU makes the trip to Patriots Point for a Monday afternoon showdown against College of Charleston. First serve is set for 1 p.m.