HIGH POINT, N.C. – Charleston Southern used a 9-0 run to close the third quarter, then matched High Point shot-for-shot down the stretch to upset the No. 2 seed Panthers 65-61 in Big South women's basketball quarterfinals action Thursday.
Shelby Wilbanks posted a 14-point, 14-rebound performance in the CSU (14-17) win while Ke'Asia Jackson added 14, Weknyne Dumorne had 14 points and seven boards and Breannah Bretches finished the night with 13 points. The win was the first for CSU against the Panthers (22-8) this season after coming close in both regular season matchups, this time using a second-half charge of their own to complete the comeback and stun the Panthers on their home floor.
In a 61-all tie, Dumorne had a huge steal to give the Bucs the ball, then scored a layup on the other end before free throws from Wilbanks and Bretches iced the win.
The Bucs finished the game shooting a blazing .491 from the floor scoring 38 of their points after the half and 22 in the seesaw fourth period.
High Point was led by 16 from Shea Morgan and 11 from Camryn Brown in the loss. The Panthers had a chance for the tie in the final 10 seconds with a three-point attempt, but it fell short and Wilbanks pulled down her 14th rebound of the night to seal the upset win.
How It Happened
- High Point came out with a 10-4 run in the opening minutes as the Bucs got open looks but couldn't knock down their shots.
- The Bucs ended the first quarter trailing just 19-14 as Wilbanks and Bretches had four points.
- CSU and High Point traded baskets in the second before the Panthers carried a 33-27 lead into the break.
- The Buccaneer offense ignited in the second while the defense clamped down outscoring the Panthers 16-8 behind a 9-0 run to end the quarter leading 43-41.
- Both offense kept hitting tough shots down the stretch with 12 lead changes in the contest. CSU finally grabbed the lead for good with :51 left on a Weknyne Dumorne layup, then the senior added a steal to help ice the win.
- High Point had a chance to tie trailing by three and :10 on the clock, but the Emma Bockrath shot went wide and the Bucs collected the board and foul.
- Wilbanks hit her first free throw to make it 65-61 then missed the second, but forced a scramble for the ball as time expired.
News and Notes
- The CSU senior class collected their fifth Big South tournament win Thursday and made their second trip to the semifinals.
- The Bucs moved to 2-1 versus the Panthers in tournament play and collected their first win in the head-to-head matchup this season.
- CSU is on a four-game win streak after a pair of wins at home to close the regular season, then a win in the first round and Thursday's triumph at High Point.
- The Bucs will make their 11th appearance in the Big South semifinals Friday night with a chance at their first Big South Championship appearance.
- Shelby Wilbanks collected her third double-double of the season and grabbed a season-high 14 rebounds in the win, surpassing the previous high of 11 in a win over Gardner-Webb.
- Four Bucs finished the night in double figures for the third-straight game as the trio of Wilbanks, Ke'Asia Jackson and Weknyne Dumorne each scored 14 and Breannah Bretches added 13 in the win.
CSU will take on the winner of Hampton/Campbell in the Big South semifinals Friday night from High Point. The Bucs will be the designated road team with tipoff scheduled for 8 p.m. on ESPN+.