CHARLESTON, S.C. – Senior Day is here for the Charleston Southern women's basketball team as the class of Breannah Bretches, Rachel Burns, Lexii Cassell, Weknyne Dumorne, Ke'Asia Jackson and Shelby Wilbanks will be recognized pregame for their efforts and time spent as a Buccaneer.
CSU also goes for an astounding 10th-straight victory over Longwood and winning record versus Big South teams from the Commonwealth of Virginia after splitting with Hampton and falling in their lone matchup with Radford.
Longwood took the first seven meetings as Big South members, but the Bucs quickly flipped the script winning the past nine matchups as the current senior class finished 4-0 inside Willett Hall thanks to an 81-74 win earlier this season.
Two of the most efficient scorers in the Big South go toe-to-toe Saturday when Shelby Wilbanks and Dayna Rouse take the floor. The two post players lead the Big South in shooting percentage since conference play began in 2019.
Last Time Out
- A game-high 18 points from Breannah Bretches and a near double-double from Shelby Wilbanks were enough to help lead the Charleston Southern women's basketball team to a 67-57 home win over Winthrop Wednesday night.
- CSU was able to overcome early turnovers and shots that weren't falling, flipping the script and doubling-up Winthrop 30-15 over the final 10 minutes turning a five-point deficit into a 10-point win.
- Winthrop saw a double-double effort from Anika Riley with 10 points and 17 rebounds as well as 12 points from Courtney Hagaman, but the CSU defense kept the Eagles grounded most of the night and below .400 from the floor in three of the four quarters.
- The Wilbanks and Bretches headlined a quartet of Bucs in double figures as Weknyne Dumorne added 11 points and five boards while Ke'Asia Jackson poured-in 10 points and five rebounds in the win.
Scouting the Lancers
- The Lancers have shown improvement under first year head coach Rebecca Tillett despite the wins not showing for it.
- Dayna Rouse has paced the Lancer offense all season scoring 14.3 points per contest - sixth-best in the Big South. Rouse also scores efficiently carrying the league's best shooting percentage (.566 / .596 in conference) into Saturday's matchup.
- Rouse is joined by Stephanie Guihon's 10.1 points as the sophomore is enjoying a breakout season. Both Guihon and Rouse average 30-plus minutes per game and have played in all 28 games for the Lancers.
- Sophomore Mallory Odell leads the Lancers with 7.0 rebounds per game and scores 6.9 points per contest.
- In their first matchup, CSU raced to a 22-point lead thanks to a career-best 30 points from Shelby Wilbanks, but a late Lancer rally cut the game to six before CSU closed it out. Longwood was led by 28 from Stephanie Guihon and 17 from Rouse.
A Win on Saturday Would
- Complete a season sweep over the Lancers.
- Give the Bucs 10-straight victories in the all-time series versus the Lancers.
- Bring the Bucs to an even 9-9 in Big South play, giving them nine-win seasons in two of the past three years.
- Lock the Bucs into the No. 7 seed for the Big South tournament, making them a host team for the First Round on Tuesday.
- Guarantee a trip to High Point's pod for the quarterfinals and semifinals rounds.