BUIES CREEK, N.C. – Campbell guard Shyanne Tuelle hit a three-point basket with 25 seconds to play, giving the Camels a 52-51 win over the Charleston Southern women's basketball team Tuesday night in Big South action.
CSU (9-16, 6-8 Big South) saw big nights offensively from their senior trio of Breannah Bretches, Shelby Wilbanks and Rachel Burns, but a late Campbell (16-9, 8-6 Big South) run over the final 5:24 was enough to hand the Bucs just their second loss in February.
Wilbanks shouldered the load in the second quarter scoring 10 points to held CSU carry a 22-21 lead into the break before Bretches returned the favor with three treys in the third. Those two, along with a strong second half from Burns, ignited a CSU third quarter-closing 19-3 run and nine-point lead after 30 minutes.
CSU held Campbell to just .317 from the floor, but six treys from the Camels – five in the second half – helped erase the deficit before Tuelle hit the game-winner.
The Bucs had a chance with two shots in the final moments, but couldn't get one to drop then had a loose ball as time expired. Tuesday marked the second time this season CSU and Campbell have come down to the wire with the Camels escaping both with a two-point win back in January and one-point margin Tuesday.
How It Happened
- Both teams knocked down their first two shots, but a cold stretch in the middle of the first led to a 10-10 tie after the first quarter.
- In that first quarter, five different Buccaneers found the scoring column – Weknyne Dumorne, Shelby Wilbanks, Tierra Steede, Rachel Burns and Jasmine Blackmon.
- Wilbanks opened the second with her own 6-0 run knocking down three field goals on three-straight possessions including a putback off an offensive board. She tallied 10 of her 12 points in the quarter leading the Bucs to a 22-21 halftime lead.
- CSU shot .556 in the second after struggling in the opening stanza while the defense held Campbell to just .308 in the first 20 minutes.
- After the Camels started the third on a 7-0 spurt in just 55 seconds, CSU closed the period on a 19-3 run for a 43-34 lead through 30 minutes. Senior guard Breannah Bretches knocked down three treys across four possessions for the Bucs to spark the run.
- Senior forward Weknyne Dumorne also blocked five Camel shots in the third quarter alone, tying her career high in just 10 minutes of action.
- Campbell responded with an 18-8 fourth as Shyanne Tuelle knocked down the game-winning trey with :25 to play. The bucket gave Campbell their lone fourth-quarter lead as they held on despite two good looks near the basket from CSU on the final possession.
- CSU held their own all night but couldn't get a basket to fall over the final 5:24 as the Camels erased a nine-point CSU lead over the final moments.
News and Notes
- Tuesday marked the eighth time over the past 10 contests CSU has either been tied or held a lead at the break.
- The trio of Rachel Burns, Breannah Bretches and Shelby Wilbanks each finished the night in double figures with Burns leading the team in boards with seven.
- Senior forward Weknye Dumorne also tied her career-high with five blocks in the loss, all coming in the third period.
CSU gets the weekend off, returning to the floor next Tuesday night hosting Gardner-Webb from the Buc Dome. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m on ESPN+.