CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern was unable to capitalize on an early lead on Tuesday night at the Patriots Point Athletic Complex as the Buccaneers fell 5-4 to host College of Charleston in the continuation of their annual Lowcountry rivalry.
The Buccaneers (16-31) jumped ahead early with a three-run first inning, but key contributions from the bottom of the College of Charleston (21-22) lineup helped the Cougars close out the season sweep over CSU.
Brooklynn Brewington posted a three-hit outing, while Summer Moore added a pair of singles and two RBI to lead CSU's offensive efforts in the game. Jade Gandara connected on a run-scoring double in the first inning for her ninth two-bagger of the season.
Dexlie Inman, Gracyn Thrasher, and Savannah Huff all recorded multi-hit games for the Cougars in the win.
Holly Clark (5-11) suffered the loss in the circle after allowing five hits and five runs (three earned), while striking out two over 2.2 innings. Arizona Pilgrim went the final 3.1 innings allowing three hits while striking out two.
Izzy Berouty (7-11) took home the win for the Cougars after allowing six hits and three runs over 4.0 innings of work. Kylie Burke added a pair of shutout innings in relief, while Drayton Siegling (S, 3) surrendered a late run in recording her third save of the year.
How They Scored/Key Situations
- Charleston Southern took advantage of a four-hit first inning as Jade Gandara drilled an RBI double and Summer Moore connected on a two-run single against Berouty to take the early 3-0 lead.
- The Buccaneers loaded the bases in the second inning with one out in the frame, but the Cougars defense stood strong with Berouty getting a swinging strikeout and a fielder's choice to hold CSU scoreless in the second.
- The Cougars tied the game up in the bottom of the second as Gracyn Thrasher and Lauren Lozano connected on RBI singles, while Savannah Huff scored on a wild pitch to tie the game up at 3-3.
- CofC added two more runs in the bottom of the third as Inman's sacrifice fly brought home Madi Brown, while Huff drilled an RBI single to left to put the Cougars ahead 5-3.
- CofC retired 11 consecutive batters before the Buccaneers battled back in the top of the seventh inning.
- Caitlyn Emberson drilled a two-out single through the left side of the infield scoring Destini Ewing to cut into the Cougars lead.
- The Bucs' seventh-inning rally fell just short as Madi Brown made a diving catch on Sarah Brown's sinking line drive to end the game.
News & Notes
- Jade Gandara is currently tied with Annie Bakenhus with a team-leading nine doubles on the season.
- Gandara and Caitlyn Emberson are both tied for the team lead with 25 RBI apiece.
- Brooklynn Brewington posted the first three-hit game of her collegiate career on Tuesday night.
Charleston Southern is back in action at home this week as the Buccaneers host Gardner-Webb in a three-game series starting Thursday afternoon at the CSU Softball Field with first pitch set for 3 p.m. The series will conclude on Friday with first pitch set for noon.