FARMVILLE, Va. - Karleigh Donovan capped off a Longwood seventh inning comeback with the walk-off RBI single to center field scoring Destiny Martinez as Charleston Southern fell to the host Lancers in the series finale, 4-3.
Charleston Southern (16-30, 10-8 Big South) took the lead in the top of the seventh inning as Rhiana Hubbard connected on a double to left centerfield to put the Buccaneers in scoring position. Annie Bakenhus followed with the go-ahead RBI single with two outs in the frame off Longwood reliever Sydney Backstrom (13-7).
Holly Clark (5-10) went a strong 5.2 innings in relief and carried the Buccaneers defense throughout a majority of the game. However, the Lancers (28-14, 14-2 Big South) utilized late RBI singles from Martinez and Donovan in the bottom of the seventh to secure the series win.
Bakenhus (2-for-3, 3 RBI) and Hubbard (2-for-2, two runs) highlighted CSU's offensive efforts as the duo combined for four of the Bucs' six hits in the game.
Clark posted on of her longest relief outings of the season in suffering the loss on Sunday. The junior right-hander surrendered six hits and three runs while striking out five. Arizona Pilgrim went the first inning in the no-decision.
Longwood's Alexis Wayland connected on her second home run in as many games, while Martinez posted a two-hit game to lead the Lancers.
Arleigh Wood went the first 6.1 innings in the start allowing four hits and three runs. Backstrom surrendered two hits and struck out two in taking the win.
How They Scored
- Wayland put the Lancers in the lead in the bottom of the first with a solo home run to left field for put Longwood ahead, 1-0.
- Annie Bakenhus swung the lead to the Buccaneers in the top of the second as the senior left fielder connected on a bases-loaded base hit to left centerfield scoring Summer Moore and Rhiana Hubbard and give CSU the 2-1 lead.
- Jordan Clark evened the game up in the bottom of the fifth with an RBI single scoring Martinez to tie the game up at 2-2.
- Bakenhus again swung the lead back to CSU with a clutch two-out single in the top of the seventh scoring Hubbard.
- The Lancers closed out the contest in the bottom of the seventh inning with Martinez's game-tying single giving way to Donovan's walk-off base hit.
News & Notes
- Charleston Southern falls to 10-8 in the Big South Conference standings with two conference weekends to play.
- The Buccaneers are currently one of three teams to win 10 Big South Conference games this season joining Longwood (14-2) and USC Upstate (16-4).
- Charleston Southern recorded six hits in all three games this past weekend against Longwood, including their series-opening 3-2 win over the Lancers on Saturday afternoon.
- Annie Bakenhus' two-hit day on Sunday gives the senior left fielder a team-leading 50 hits on the year.
- Her three RBI also makes her the third Buccaneer to crack the 20-RBI mark this season as Bakenhus (21) joins Caitlyn Emberson (24) and Jade Gandara (24) among the CSU team leaders.
- Holly Clark's pair of appearances on the weekend gives her 31 on the season, making her the second Buccaneer pitcher to eclipse the 30 appearance mark this year.
- CSU's Saturday win over the Lancers was the first time the Buccaneers have topped Longwood in Farmville in program history, a stretch dating back to 2011.
Charleston Southern closes out its final road game of the 2019 season on Tuesday night as the Buccaneers travel to Patriots Point for a Tuesday night contest against College of Charleston. First pitch is set for 6 p.m.