FARMVILLE, Va. - Charleston Southern split the weekend doubleheader against host Longwood on Saturday afternoon as the Buccaneers topped the Lancers in the first game, 3-2, before falling 6-2 in the nightcap.
A three-hour rain delay didn't dampen the spirits for either team on Saturday prior to first pitch. The Buccaneers (16-29, 10-7 Big South) and Lancers (27-14, 13-2 Big South) engaged in several rain delay festivities on the field prior to first pitch starting at 4 p.m.
However, when first pitch was hurled, the Bucs and Lancers continued a strong conference rivalry dating back to the Lancers entrance into the Big South back in the 2012-13 season.
Game One: Charleston Southern 3, Longwood 2
Rhiana Hubbard and Jade Gandara connected on a pair of RBI singles to pace the Buccaneers to a three-run fifth inning as Charleston Southern topped Longwood in the weekend opener, 3-2.
With CSU trailing 1-0, Hubbard tied the game up with an RBI single to centerfield scoring Summer Moore in the top of the fifth. Jade Gandara followed up later in the frame with a two-run single scoring Annie Bakenhus and Destini Ewing.
Bakenhus paced the Bucs' offense with two of CSU's six hits in the game. Gandara's pair of RBI aided the offense, while Madison Koger added a pair of sacrifice hits.
Sydney Gay (9-7) suffered the loss after going the first 5.2 innings and allowing six hits while striking out eight. Arleigh Wood went the final 1.1 innings in scoreless relief.
How They Scored
- Jordan Clark put the Lancers on the board in the bottom of the fourth with a solo home run to straightaway center field to put Longwood ahead.
- Hubbard's RBI single scoring Summer Moore evened the game in the fifth.
- Gandara's bases-loaded single later in the frame gave CSU a 3-1 lead.
- Sydney Jacobsen's pinch-hit home run in the bottom of the seventh chased Pilgrim from the game, but Clark retired the next three batters to end the contest.
Game Two: Longwood 6, Charleston Southern 2
Alexis Wayland's solo home run in the bottom of the first sparked a stretch of six unanswered runs as Longwood salvaged the doubleheader split in the evening game on Saturday night.
Arizona Pilgrim (10-17) suffered the loss in 3.0 innings of relief as the senior right-hander allowed four hits and three runs while walking six in the game. Holly Clark went the first 0.2 innings in the start, while Alyssa Heinrich allowed one earned run over the final 2.1 innings to close out the game.
Kaylynn Batten and Karleigh Donovan both doubled in the contest to help add to Longwood's offensive efforts. Sydney Backstrom (12-7) hurled a complete game six-hitter in the win.
How They Scored
- Caitlyn Emberson's first inning double scoring Brooklynn Brewington to put the Buccaneers ahead early.
- Wayland answered with a solo shot to left center field to add tie the game up in the bottom of the first as the Lancers evened the game at 1-1.
- The Lancers went ahead 3-1 in the bottom of the second inning as Jordan Clark and Karleigh Donovan both connected on RBI singles.
- Leah Powell's bases-loaded walk in the bottom of the fourth extended Longwood's lead to 4-1.
- Destiny Martinez scored on a CSU throwing error in the bottom of the fifth to stretch the lead to 5-1.
- Powell's sacrifice fly scoring Mason Basdikis in the bottom of the sixth capped the Lancers scoring at 6-1.
- Hubbard's RBI single in the top of the seventh scored Summer Moore to end the efforts in the game.
Charleston Southern's series finale against Longwood on Sunday afternoon has been moved up to a noon first pitch. The game is slated to be streamed on ESPN+.