DURHAM, N.C. - Charleston Southern fell in its lone game on the first day of the Duke/N.C. State Invitational as the Buccaneers were unable to hold off a late Ohio rally in the 8-5 loss to the Bobcats.
CSU's nightcap against host Duke was postponed until Sunday morning due to worsening weather conditions in the Raleigh/Durham area halted play at both tournament venues. The Bucs will take on the Blue Devils on Sunday morning in the make-up game with first pitch projected to start at 10:30 a.m.
Game One: Ohio 8, Charleston Southern 5
Ohio utilized a four-run inning in the bottom of the sixth to rally past Charleston Southern in the opening game of the Duke/N.C. State Invitational hosted at the Duke Softball Field.
The Bucs built the 5-4 lead in the top of the sixth inning on Caitlyn Emberson's team-leading third home run of the season off Desirae Villanueva. Ohio rallied back in the bottom of the frame against Arizona Pilgrim (2-7) with four runs, including a three-run shot from Morgan Geno to take the win.
Holly Clark carried a no-hitter through three innings in earning the no decision. The junior right-hander went 3.2 innings overall in the circle with two hits, two runs, and three strikeouts. Pilgrim went the final 2.1 innings allowing six hits and six runs while striking out two.
Mackensie Kohl went the first 4.1 innings in the start surrendering five CSU hits and three runs (two earned). Villanueva went the final 2.2 in the circle to close out the contest.
Annie Bakenhus led the Bucs with a two-hit game, while Madison Koger had a double and two runs scored. SeaEnna Satcher connected on a two-run RBI single to help CSU's offensive efforts, while Emberson drew a pair of walks in addition to her home run.
How They Scored
- Meghan Gagliano sparked a pair of Ohio errors in the top of the second inning as the Bobcats made two separate throwing miscues on the play allowing both Satcher and Koger to score and give CSU the early 2-0 lead.
- Charlee Pond doubled home Natalie Alvarez and Katie Yun to tie the game up for Ohio in the bottom of the third.
- Satcher's two-run single with one out in the top of the fifth swung the lead back to the Bucs as Sarah Brown and Koger both touched the plate to put CSU ahead 4-2.
- Geno drew a bases-loaded walk and Caroline Spacek singled in Yun in the bottom of the frame to even the score back at 4-4.
- Emberson's solo home run to centerfield put the Bucs back in the lead in the top of the fifth.
- Alvarez answered with an RBI double in the bottom of the sixth, before Geno's three-run home run provided the final margin in the Bobcats win.
Game Two: CSU at Duke Postponed
Play was halted during the Kansas-Ohio game in the fifth inning at the Duke Softball Stadium and the teams were unable to get back on the field as play was halted on the first day of the tournament.
The Bucs-Blue Devils will reschedule for Sunday morning with first pitch set for 10:30 a.m.
CSU is back in action tomorrow afternoon against Ohio at Dail Field on the campus of N.C State University. First pitch is set for 12:30 p.m.