CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern made the first game in the Venus Taylor coaching era and the first game under the lights at the CSU Softball Field one to remember as the Buccaneers topped the visiting Dayton Flyers, 9-1, on the opening day of the Willie Jewell's Invitational.
CSU (1-0) took advantage of four Dayton (0-1) errors and pounded out 10 hits in the season-opening win.
Caitlyn Emberson and Jade Gandara combined to drive in five runs, while Brooklynn Brewington and Annie Bakenhus both had multi-hit games to lead the CSU offense. Bakenhus, Emberson, and Gandara all doubled in the contest to pace the Bucs.
Arizona Pilgrim (1-0) picked up her first win of the season with a complete game effort in the circle. The senior right-hander retired the final nine batters she faced and posted six strikeouts in the three-hitter.
Jessica Gilliam (0-1) allowed six runs (none earned) and eight hits over the first four innings in taking the loss.
How They Scored
- After a scoreless first inning, the Buccaneers tacked on six runs in the bottom of the second to take the early lead.
- Rhiana Hubbard was the first one across the plate scoring on the first of two Dayton errors in the inning off Brooklynn Brewington's hard-hit grounder.
- Annie Bakenhus brought home the second run of the inning as Destini Ewing scored on her single to left field.
- The lead hit 3-0 as Meghan Gagliano singled in Brewington with a two-out base hit up the middle.
- Caitlyn Emberson's double on the first pitch from Gilliam cleared the bases and brought home Jade Gandara, Gagliano, and Bakenhus to put the score at 6-0 after two innings.
- Dayton took one back in the top of the third as Ellie Ziegler's sacrifice fly brought home Kyle Davidson to narrow the Bucs' lead to 6-1.
- CSU closed out the game in the fifth as SeaEnna Satcher scored on a Dayton throwing error.
- Two batters later, Gandara looped a double down the left field line just over the head of the Dayton third baseman bringing home Ewing and Brewington to close out the Bucs' win.
Inside the Numbers
- Arizona Pilgrim moved into a tie for 13th all-time in the CSU career annals with her 15th complete game at CSU.
- Pilgrim tied with former CSU pitcher Jamie Wellons (27, 2008-09) with her 27th career win.
- Jade Gandara's game-winning double was the 34th of her collegiate career, tying her with Jana Matthews (2010-13) for fifth all-time at CSU.
- Gandara (137) sits just four RBI behind Matthews (141) in career RBI at CSU.
- Three newcomers to the CSU lineup made their debuts with Hubbard, Satcher, and Brewington all lining up for the Bucs tonight.
- Destini Ewing found her way across the plate, tying Brewington with a team-high two runs scored in the game.
Postgame with Coach Venus Taylor
Charleston Southern continues the Willie Jewell's Invitational tomorrow afternoon with a pair of games against Maryland Eastern Shore (2 p.m.) and South Dakota (4:30 p.m.)