CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern is back in the Buccaneer Field House as CSU hosts Winthrop in Big South Conference play on Thursday night. Tipoff between the Buccaneers and the Eagles is set for 7:30 p.m. on ESPN+.
The Buccaneers (10-11, 4-4 Big South) are looking to keep their longest winning streak of the season alive as they welcome the struggling Eagles (14-8, 6-3 Big South) to the Buc Dome. CSU is 8-3 at home in the 2018-19 season and will look to top an Eagles team that is 6-5 away from Rock Hill.
CSU is coming off another complete team effort on Saturday as five different players scored double-digits in the Bucs' 90-71 win over the Spartans. The Bucs shot 57.6% from the floor as a team and 50.0% from the three-point line and led by as many as 25 points in the second half in securing their third consecutive Big South win.
Travis McConico narrowly missed out on CSU's second triple-double of the season as the senior forward recorded 14 points, 11 rebounds, and a season-high eight assists. Dontrell Shuler (18) and Christian Keeling (18) led the Bucs in scoring, while Ty Jones (16) and Phlandrous Fleming (12) were also in double-digits.
The Bucs split the season series against Winthrop last season with both teams winning on their opponents' respective courts.
Charleston Southern Quick Hits
- Charleston Southern is back at .500 in Big South play this season after topping USC Upstate this past weekend at the G.B. Hodge Center, 90-71.
- Five different Buccaneers scored double-digits in Saturday's contest against USC Upstate - the third time this season at least five players have hit 10-plus points in a game.
- The Bucs shot over 50.0% from the floor in both games this past week hitting 50.8% of their shots against Presbyterian and 57.6% against USC Upstate.
- CSU's prowess from the floor extended to the three-point line as the Bucs shot over 50.0% from behind the arc with a season-high 17 three-pointers in the win over PC.
- CSU's 90 points against USC Upstate was the sixth time this season the Bucs scored 90 or more points this year.
- CSU and Winthrop swapped wins last season with the Eagles taking the contest inside the Buc Dome, 64-53, behind 11 three-pointers.
- The Buccaneers have played three one-point games inside the Buc Dome this season with CSU winning the latest one, 85-84, against Presbyterian.
- CSU is currently boasting its longest winning streak of the season at three games.
Winthrop Quick Hits
- Winthrop was picked second overall in the Big South Men's Basketball preseason poll announced at the conference's media day. The Eagles received 280 points overall and two first place votes.
- Winthrop junior forward Josh Ferguson was recognized on the conference's preseason Second Team after returning as the Big South's fourth-leading rebounder.
- Winthrop is currently third in the conference standings with a 6-3 record following back-to-back losses from Presbyterian and Radford.
- The Eagles boast an 8-3 record at home this season, but is just 6-5 away from the Winthrop Coliseum.
- Nych Smith (17.7) leads five Winthrop layers averaging double-digit points per game this season.
- The Eagles lead the nation in three-pointers per game (12.3) and total three-pointers made (271). Winthrop is third in the NCAA in three-point attempts with 730 on the season.