CHARLESTON, S.C. – College of Charleston jumped out early scoring the game's first seven runs on their way to a 9-2 victory over the Charleston Southern baseball team Tuesday night from CSU Ballpark, taking the Lowcountry series finale.
Ari Sechopoulos paced the Cougars (29-19) with four hits while scoring twice and the Buccaneers (17-31) got another moonshot home run from Max Ryerson, but it wasn't enough to overcome the early deficit.
How They Scored
- CofC got on the board first scoring a run in the top of the first on two hits, then made it 3-0 with a pair in the second and then 6-0 with three in the third.
- The Cougars added one more in the fourth for a 7-0 lead before the Bucs would strike.
- Max Ryerson demolished a breaking ball over the scoreboard in left center for his sixth longball of the season bringing his RBI total to 31 – joining Ryan Stoudemire as the lone two Bucs with 30-plus driven-in.
- CofC added one in the eighth then a final tally in the ninth for the 9-2 final.
News and Notes
- Jason Miller's walk in the first extended his on-base streak to a season and team-high 27 before later doubling down the left field line.
- Max Ryerson became the second Buccaneer with 30-plus RBI's this season with his two-run home run in the sixth. Ryerson still leads Big South freshmen in batting average, home runs and RBI's.
- Tuesday's loss snaps a three-game win streak over Lowcountry rivals in 2019 after taking the first three and scoring 39 runs.
CSU welcomes USC Upstate this weekend for a three-game set and can solidify a spot in the Big South Championships with a series win. The Bucs can also climb two spots, possibly three with a sweep and some help with a pair of Gardner-Webb losses. First pitch Friday night is slated for 6 p.m. from CSU Ballpark.