NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. – South Carolina scored all 10 of their runs across the first three frames jumping out to an early lead before taking a midweek matchup over Charleston Southern 10-3 from SRP Park in North Augusta, S.C. Tuesday.
Freshmann outfielder Max Ryerson paced the Charleston Southern (16-28) offense Tuesday night with two hits, but the early South Carolina (24-17) onslaught proved to be enough in the end.
A leadoff home run got the Gamecocks going before they rattled-off six runs in the second to break the game open and take an 8-0 lead through the first two frames.
Senior outfielder Josh Litchfield got the Bucs on the board in the fourth with an RBI double before a throwing error with two outs brought home two more Buccaneer runners and a three-run frame.
How They Scored
- Noah Campbell led the South Carolina first inning with a solo shot to right and 1-0 lead before the Gamecocks added another on a two-out single and 2-0 lead through one full frame.
- South Carolina added six more in the second to break the game open and lead 8-0 through just two frames. Luke Berryhill's two-out, three-run blast to left center highlighted the six-run frame as South Carolina used five hits a walk and hit batsman for the big inning.
- South Carolina extended their lead in the third with back-to-back leadoff triples from Brady Allen and Josiah Slighter, then an infield single from Noah Campbell made it 10-0 at the time.
- Charleston Southern broke through in the fourth scoring three runs on three hits. Josh Litchfield provided the first run with a two-out double, then he and Reid Hardwick scored on a throwing error to bring the Bucs back to a 10-3 deficit.
News and Notes
- Max Ryerson led the Bucs with a pair of hits and reached safely three times in the loss.
- Jason Miller also extended his on-base streak with a single in the seventh, making it 23-straight reaching first base.
- Freshman reliever and reigning Big South Freshman of the Week RJ Petit also extended a streak in the loss making it 16.1-straight innings without allowing a run.
Charleston Southern enters the exam break as they get the next eight days off before heading to Big South preseason favorite Campbell May 3-5 for a weekend set.