CHARLESTON, S.C. – Charleston Southern returns to the friendly confines of CSU Ballpark for a quick weekend set with Gardner-Webb before another five-game road swing to close April.
The lone schedules midweek game at nationally-ranked Clemson was washed out Tuesday, so the Bucs enter with four days rest while Gardner-Webb fell 4-3 to Western Carolina Wednesday evening.
Charleston Southern took last year's series in Boiling Springs and look for back-to-back series wins over Gardner-Webb after the Bucs and Runnin' Bulldogs have split each of the past four series. With the 2-1 win in 2018, the series is now tied at 15-wins for each program since 2009 when Gardner-Webb joined the Big South Conference.
- Charleston Southern and Gardner-Webb enter the weekend deadlocked at 15 wins apiece in the all-time series during the regular season with CSU winning six series and sweeping one of those. Gardner-Webb has won each of the two Big South Conference Tournament meetings and leads the series 17-15. Both postseason meetings came in 2011 and 2012.
- Of the 10 series, only three have come as sweeps - 2013, 2015 and 2016 with the other seven being decided 2-1. Gardner-Webb has two of the sweeps - 2013 and 2016, but CSU took all three games in 2015 for their first.
- Both teams come in off a Big South series loss as CSU fell at Longwood and Campbell took two of three at Gardner-Webb.
- Neither team has won more than two-straight series in the head-to-head matchups. Three of CSU's six series wins have come at Gardner-Webb while their 2015 sweep was at CSU Ballpark. CSU is also 9-6 at home versus the Runnin' Bulldogs winning three of the past four weekends in Charleston.
- Gardner-Webb enters Friday night four games ahead of CSU in the standings tied with UNC Asheville for fifth at 6-6 in league play.
Scouting the Runnin' Bulldogs
- Gardner-Webb comes in after a series loss to preseason favorite and current-No. 1 Campbell at home. In the series, the Runnin' Bulldogs took the Friday opener in a 12-inning walkoff before falling in the final two games.
- The Runnin' Bulldogs rank second in the Big South with a .271 batting average but have the eighth-highest ERA at 6.44 and currently sit sixth with a .957 fielding percentage.
- Gardner-Webb is led offensively by four batters hitting above .300 - Justin Kunz (.333), Corey Howard (.313), Chandler Redmond (.308) and Ben Rowdon (.305). Of their 25 home runs as a team, 20 have come from Redmond and Kunz - the only two with multiple longballs on the season. Redmond's 10 HR's and 38 RBI's rank first in the Big South and both have smacked 10 home runs, the only Big South duo with double-digit blasts.
- Isaac Campbell is the lone pitcher in Gardner-Webb's rotation to start eight games this season posting a 2-1 record with a 5.08 ERA and 42 strikeouts across 44.1 innings. Jarrett Thompson and Langdon Wilson have each made 14 appearances out of the bullpen combining for 38.2 innings of relief. Thompson's 1.64 ERA leads the staff and has a team-best 1.41 WHIP.
A Series Win Would…
- Give the Bucs a lead in the all-time series during the regular season as it sits 15-15 entering the weekend.
- Be the second series win over the Runnin' Bulldogs in as many seasons after taking the final two last year.
- Become the seventh series win over Gardner-Webb in school history.