CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern and College of Charleston face off at Nielsen Field at CSU Ballpark as the Buccaneers host the Cougars on Wednesday night. First pitch between the Bucs and the Cougars is set for 6 p.m. on ESPN+.
It's Charleston Navy Week in the Lowcountry this week and the Buccaneers-Cougars midweek contest is one of a number of events that is featured on the Navy's schedule.
As a part of the pregame festivities, the USS Constitution will be presenting the color guard in their period ca.-1813 uniforms. The USS Constitution brass quartet will also perform the National Anthem at the Ballpark.
Navy Rear Admiral Dan Fillion, a 1984 CofC graduate and Goose Creek, S.C. native will be honored pregame and throw out the first pitch. He will also be joining the broadcast team during the game to discuss his ties to the area and the events of Navy Week.
As a part of the Navy Week festivities, FREE admission will be given to any military member with an ID. Thundersticks will also be provided at the gate to all fans while supplies last.
- Charleston Southern returns to the diamond for their fourth-straight contest against a Lowcountry rival in College of Charleston. The Bucs finished a three-game set with The Citadel playing two games at Joe Riley Park and one at CSU Ballpark.
- CSU looks to keep the unblemished start to home games vs. Lowcountry rivals in tact after taking down the Bulldogs 10-5 Saturday.
- In their first meeting, CSU jumped out to a 3-0 lead before a five-run sixth gave the Cougars their first lead. CSU responded with a two-run seventh to tie it 5-5, but CofC added two runs over the final two at-bats for the 7-5 comeback win.
- Wednesday is the first of two trips to CSU Ballpark for CofC after the Bucs made the drive down to Patriots Point in the final days of February.
- CofC is coming off a 1-2 weekend at traditional power Arizona taking the Sunday finale and salvaging the series. The trip out west was the first time the Cougars played in 2019 outside the confines of Patriots Point.
- Wednesday's single midweek game is also the final tuneup before Big South play begins for the Bucs this weekend at Winthrop in Rock Hill, S.C.
A Win on Wednesday Would…
- Give the Bucs a perfect 2-0 record vs. Lowcountry rivals CofC and Citadel at CSU Ballpark.
- Even the season series 1-1 with CofC with the home team winning both.
- Move the Bucs to 5-6 on their home field.
- Give the Bucs a winning record in night games (starts after 6 p.m.) with four wins to their credit already.
Scouting the Cougars
- CofC comes in after a 1-2 weekend at traditional power Arizona falling 7-5 in the first two games before taking a 10-6 Sunday finale and snapping a three-game slide.
- The Cougars have had no shortage of offense in 2019 scoring at least five runs in 12 of their 15 contests. CofC is 10-2 in games they score at least five runs with their lone two blemishes coming at Arizona in a pair of two-run games.
- Their lineup is paced by a blazing .404 average from Logan McRae who's slugging .731 on the season. Five of their regular starters are hitting above .300 on the season and the Cougars are hitting .285 as a unit. Chaz Davey paces CofC with three home runs and 16 RBI's while Dupree Hart has 14 steals in 16 attempts from his leadoff position.
- Griffin McLarty leads the staff with a 2.59 ERA across four starts tossing 24.1 innings, striking out 26 and allowing just four walks. He owns a 2-2 record and opponents are batting .213 against the junior righty.
- In the first matchup, Davey's RBI single in the seventh gave the Cougars the lead for good as he also swiped two bags in the win. Six different Cougars collected a steal in the win as Luke Manzo was the lone runner to be thrown out finishing the night 1-of-2 in attempts.
New Faces Shining in the Spotlight
- Freshmen outfielders Kyle Horton and Max Ryerson have made immediate impacts to the CSU lineup with Horton starting 15 of CSU's 17 games and getting on base for 10-straight contests and Ryerson driving in a team-high 11 RBI's.
- Junior infielder Reid Hardwick has also made his presence felt scorching his way to a .327 average with a home run, six RBI and scoring a team-best 11 runs in the second and third spots in the lineup. Hardwick has also been an on-base machine reaching safely over 11-straight earlier before seeing the run snapped over the last weekend.
- Junior outfielder Dante Blakeney made a huge splash opening weekend smacking a grand slam for the Bucs' first home run of 2019 in a 7-3 win over La Salle.
- Freshman catcher Brooks Bryan has also shouldered a huge load behind the plate starting in six games giving returning All-Big South catcher Christian Maggio.
- Cam Weinberger has also gotten better in each outing on the mound as he struck out eight Ball State batters across 4.1 frames last Friday in the nightcap of a doubleheader. Weinberger has also been joined by freshmen Logan Adams, Hunter Illing and RJ Petit while JUCO transfer Lucas Ford has been lights-out in the back end of the bullpen.
Battle for the Lowcountry
- Charleston Southern will play eight games against their two Lowcountry rivals College of Charleston and The Citadel in 2019 - four games versus each opponent.
- The Bucs began their 2019 Lowcountry series at CofC and will play at Patriots Point twice while hosting the Cougars twice - all four coming as midweek games.
- CSU and The Citadel will also play four games with the first three coming over a weekend set March 8-10 - two played at Joe Riley Park and one at CSU Ballpark. The finale will be played at CSU Ballpark in April.